IVP - Addenda & Errata - Libraries Up in Smoke!

February 17, 2010

Libraries Up in Smoke!

Every reader of this blog must take a look at Ben Myers’s “Twelve theses on libraries and librarians.” It’s marvelous!

But as I was soaking it in, I started to think about what ebooks are going to do to this great cultural institution. Then my eyes wandered to a postcard above my desk that replicates the time-worn declaration that readers in Oxford’s Bodleian Library must promise to obey:

I hereby undertake not to remove from the Library, or to mark, deface, or injure in any way, any volume, document, or other object belonging to it or in its custody; not to bring into the Library or kindle therein any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the Library: and I promise to obey all rules of the Library.

Is it just happenstance that the word kindle appears here? I’ve wondered where Amazon got the name for its ebook reader, Kindle. Was it here? Is Amazon’s subversion of libraries this cynical?

The Bodleian must update its oath and not allow any Kindle (or like devices) within its hallowed walls! It is a digital incendiary device! Surely if any fire or flame has ever threatened to reduce the library as an institution to ashes, it is the Kindle!

Ash Wednesday, 2010

Posted by Dan Reid at February 17, 2010 11:56 AM Bookmark and Share

Comments

Thanks Dan! And as for the provenance of the name "Kindle", I think you might be on to something there...

Comment by: Ben Myers at February 17, 2010 5:28 PM

Dan, I enjoyed the article and liked your comments too.

In the Times Talks interview with Stephen King recently, I was intrigued by one person's comment that even when she gets a book on Kindle for convenience she buys a paper copy because she likes the smell of a book. Maybe that is partly what we like about libraries too - the smell of books.

Comment by: Terry Tiessen at February 17, 2010 7:24 PM

I think you are right, Terry. When my older sister was in high school, she worked at a local bookstore. I have very vivid memories of walking in there and being struck by the wonderful smell. What's not to love!

Comment by: Andy Le Peau at February 18, 2010 10:26 AM

The smell of books? Why I'll even maintain that the dust that accumulates on my own enriches their booky bouquet!

Comment by: Dan Reid at February 18, 2010 1:04 PM

No doubt tongue in cheek: surely we mustn't give the Kindle that much credit! I've heard lackluster comments about it since it has launched.

The "wierdos" who simply love the feel and smell of a hardbound book will always be with us. I'm going to go smell my antique shelf right now…

Comment by: Chris Donato at February 27, 2010 2:35 PM

Comments are closed for this entry.

Get Email Updates

You'll get an email whenever a new entry is posted to Addenda & Errata

Got a Book Idea?

Please follow our submissions guidelines. We cannot respond to book proposals or inquiries within the context of this blog.